Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Affirming the Earth

I work at a very large public university and every day I’m attacked by at least a dozen supposedly well intentioned students with ridiculous fliers and donation requests. On my way back from lunch today I heard the following simple seductions from a few of these human sidewalk barricades representing some obscure organization called "Greenpeace":

“I can tell there is a tree hugger underneath that fancy polo!”
“Hey, you look like someone in the mood to stop global warming!”

Surprisingly, these clever lines did not seem to work. I chuckled to myself, avoided any eye contact whatsoever and picked up my pace so I wouldn’t be forced to, yet again; tell them, “No, I would not like to save the world today.”

Truth is, I do want to save the world from utter destruction but I find it slightly irritating to be bombarded on my way to serve the man with these in-your-face guilt-tripping solicitations. Aside from pushing them down on the pavement there is little I can do to make them go away – something about free speech in a public place. Anyway, I really don’t like the feeling of wanting to avoid someone and for a second I actually feel bad saying NO but then I remember they just want the money I’m trying to earn to buy shoes and I don’t feel bad anymore. And also, I really don’t think my money is going to make the earth better anyway. Money just can not fix all the world's problems - everyone knows that.

Personally, when my 'problems' overwhelm me and I’m feeling a bit sad, worn down or simply ‘abused’, I perk right up when I receive compliments or accolades from my friends. I figure if this works for me it probably would work for the earth too. So, my simple suggestion for saving the world - while not annoying people as they walk to work - is to help the world feel better about herself. A happy earth is a healthy, self-confident earth.

I shall begin now, in a delicate yet forceful tone: “Earth, you are beautiful. You are doing a great job. Keep up the good work. We really need you.”

I think that will do the trick. A bit of affirmation goes a long way. Sometimes a little encouragement is all you need to keep moving with a smile. So, I’m gonna do my part to heal the earth and then next time those green shirt wearing hippies ask me to help them save the world I’ll just say, “No thanks, I already did that today but maybe you should too.”

I think tomorrow I will come up with a sweet earth cheer.

Yeah, you go earth!

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

You know what I always say: Keep Austin Normal, you freaks! Ha