Monday, January 12, 2009

Egad

In less than 48 hours I will be turning 28 years of age and I’m not going to lie, it is really freaking me out.


The other day I was watching a few episodes from season two of Friends with a friend. For all my fellow Friends fans this is the season where Ross and Rachel finally get together, Monica starts dating the much older Dr. Burke and Joey is cast and quickly killed off on Days of Our Lives. Also in season two, the friends are 27 years old. Now, despite the fact these episodes aired over decade ago, it still hit me hard…I am now older than Chandler. Egad!


Not only am I freaked out because I’m now older than the Friends, but 28 is the basically the point of no return…to thirty!!! You see, at 27 you can still claim membership to the ‘mid-twenties’. You are just barely getting over the quarter-century life crisis and living the easy life of an independent twenty-something, but as that clock hits 28 everything changes. You are now officially a card holding member of the ‘late twenties’ and getting monthly reminder notices from the Thirty Club. There is no going back to the safety and innocence of the mid-twenties; those care free days are long gone.


Now, being that I’m not yet 28, I’m not sure what exactly all my new responsibilities will be but certainly the job of a 28 year old is more intense than the years prior. There is so much preparation to be done. I have to start thinking about my health, long term goals and retirement. I probably have to start checking out all the good buffets in town, practice going to bed at 8 pm and telling those 25 year olds' to turn down the music. On top of all that, I have to start looking for cats that need to be adopted. So much, so much. On the upside, I think at 28 you get reduced rates on car insurance and Dennys, are bestowed with additional bits of wisdom and blessed with the title, “Ma'am”.


Well, so begins the end. As I brace myself for this shove into maturity, I wish to say audios to all the glorious years of my youth. Goodbye young Red, you were a shining star. We have had many a good times and I will never forget you!

5 comments:

Mandy said...

I'm not too far behind you, I'll be 28 in May. The other day, Jarrett was playing outside with his friends and I overheard one of the boys ask him how old his mom was and Jarrett responded "I don't know... old." I fought back the urge to ground him for a week.

If it makes you feel any better (it does me), Jim will be 29 in April! Hehe.

Colette Campbell said...

I totally agree! I've been thinking the SAME thing! When you're 27 you're closer to 25 than to 30, but once you hit 28 you are almost 30. Okay, so really once you're 27 1/2 you're closer to 30 than 25, but still, you can still say you're 27 and no one knows the difference.
Enjoy your last hours of youngness. Good luck with your old age. If I find a cute sparkly cane I'll send it your way for the old fogie that's just waiting to emerge on Wed. (By the way, happy birthday!)

Lizzy said...

Ma'am,
Whenever you get down, just remember... the Doug is 33!! That's waaaay old. Ha

Melinda said...

It is so true!!! Adios to the young, hip, cool you. Say Hola to backaches, grey hair, and dentures. Although I am enjoying these 4pm dinners at Luby's...

Gavin said...

You get reduced rates at Denny's when your 28! Sweet, I can't wait!