Thursday, September 3, 2009

What the Nike shorts?!

So, is it just me or does the University of Texas have a new dress code?

While on my break earlier, I counted 43 girls wearing Nike color-blocked running shorts. Really?! Now, granted, they were of varying colors and sizes but there were 43 people in a 5 min window wearing the EXACT SAME item of clothing. If you don’t know what shorts I’m talking about, then I’m afraid, you are more behind in the fashion world than I - shame on you. Oh and if you are asking why I was counting them, you are missing the point and well...my job is really boring.

So apparently, work-out clothes are the new college uniform in 2009. Why does everyone seem to know this? Maybe there was a critical Tweet I missed while checking Facebook, but I surely did not get that memo. However, I don’t think I get the fashion either. Sure, they look pretty comfortable and it is really hot here, but if running shorts are what you wear to class what is it that you wear while running? Isn’t that why they are called running shorts? I’m just being practical.

I suppose I might be slightly biased being that I went to BYU and we had a strict honor code that kept Polos and khakis in constant style. I just feel like people should wear real clothes in public. Maybe that’s far too old school and I need to start embracing the trend tides. Perhaps kids now-a-days are all about multi-tasking, you know, “I’m not only a student but also an athlete”. I could support that, especially if neither had to actually be true.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

OH man! Rob and I laugh all the time about that. Its actually a BIG part of our orienting anyone that comes to visit..."and on your left you'll see the Stepford females of UT campus. Welcome. Please leave your brain in your moccasins at home."

Andrew said...

Steph, this "dress code" is nothing new... ;) but I'm sure you know that.

I think I counted over 50 girls in one outing...

jess said...

I was down on campus today (very rare but true) and I thought the exact same thing! I thought it was so funny that here all the fasion magazines are talking about plaid and leggings (yuck) but here every other girl looks ready to break into a sprint any second!

Brooke said...

I don't think that fashion trend has hit So. Utah yet? Thankgoodness. However, we do have the first Iron Man competition coming up, so on my way to work all I see is groups of pale white legs in short running shorts! I just hope they wear protection while in those shorts...there is just no support!

Melinda said...

HAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!! Awesome.

The Girl said...

You make me feel a tad self-concious that I showed up to your house in running shorts. True, I was actually running in them, but still.