Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Love Gambles

From everything I know, gambling is bad. I must confess to having a mini addiction to the lobster game in Vegas (man I love that dancing lobster) but gambling as a whole, I do not partake. It is just not worth it. Recently while enjoying the play list on my BFF’s blog I ran across a song by Ben Lee, Gamble Everything for Love. My initial reaction was ok, whatevs, gambling is bad so he’s crazy, but nice beat. He sings to me, “if you gamble everything for love you’re gonna be alright”. Interesting notion.

Truth be told, aside from gambling being pure evil, this has been the complete opposite of all my thinking since the beginning of time. Gamble for love? Yeah, I’ll take a shot in the head thank you very much. All my days, I have tried to stand strong against the sneaky forces of love by simply avoiding it all together. An easy technique which works for me: cleverly pretending to be in love with any male that walks my path. Man, there is nothing better than that sheer look of terror and awkward mumble when you tell some poor, unsuspecting boy you love them. I live for it. Yes, I am a bad person.

Gambling everything for love is certainly something I’ve never considered, but as my years are rapidly increasing, I am discovering that love might actually be the one thing I can’t risk not gambling for. A friend once taught me, and by friend I mean I don’t remember who, that anything worth having comes with a great deal of risk and the greater the risk the greater the reward. Turns out, this actually just ends up being a combination of a whole bunch of clever sayings from an assortment of individuals but I think it works here. Now, without question, I’d feel much better about the whole game if I was guaranteed a royal flush when the cards are dealt but I’m slowly realizing that even with questionable odds, the spoils are worth it. They say it makes the game more interesting anyway. Bottom line, I’m all in…as long as I don’t get the Joker.

Love is a risk, it is a gamble, but the prize…well it is priceless.

1 comment:

Abinadi said...

1. Yes, you are a bad person. Those poor boys. Don't toy with their emotions.

2. Nothing worth having in this life comes easy.