Friday, May 9, 2008

Pipe Dream

Back in the early 90’s I was obsessed with two computer games: Pipe Dream and Prince of Persia. I’ll save my Prince of Persia tale for another entry but I’ll just say this: I was really, really good and I saved that princess like a billion times…with record speed.

Pipe Dream came rushing back to memory just the other day when someone told me my aspirations to rule the world were nothing but a ‘pipe dream’. I thanked them for their support, crossed them off my “People I’ll Take to the Top with Me” list and then began sweet reminiscing of that silly game I loved so much. I can still hear the spectacular background music as it picked up tempo when the green goo neared the end of the pipe I was frantically trying to extend. I also remember the constant satisfaction I felt by beating my younger brother at yet another wholesome after-school activity.

When I look back on the game now, with a better understanding of myself, I think I know why I enjoyed the game so much. You see, Pipe Dream was a game that so cleverly combined all things I love. First: the challenge. There is nothing quite like begin thrown a good, clean obstacle which, with some decent effort, you can totally own. Second: creativity and imagination. Pipe Dream provided me plenty of right brain development opportunities as I swiftly crafted some pretty intricate and magnificent pipe patterns. Third: a great soundtrack. Excellent music really is the foundation for all things good. Music will instantaneously change my mood, get me moving and keep my going. Finally: success and reward. I make no false pretense for my desire of constant acknowledgment. Honestly, there are very few things more exhilarating than the joys following a conquest or in my case the flashy “You Win” banner and super happy music at the end of an intense game of Pipe Dream.

I miss those simple days when a video game alone could sustain my daily pursuits for excitement and fulfillment. Is it really any wonder that I’m constantly looking for a current, real life application of my animated childhood enjoyment? Today, being much older and indeed wiser, I find myself faced with particular difficulty in finding activities (specifically employment) that contain more than one of these passions as so liberally provided to me by Pipe Dream. It’s true, I might be held slightly back with misguided expectations that real life could actually be as good as Pipe Dream but I still think there is a chance. Just as I conquered Pipe Dream so many times I figure if I apply the same determination and if I can just find a ‘You Win’ banner to carry around for constant reinforcement; I can totally take over the world.

You may think my aspirations of taking over the world are just a pipe dream and you might be right, but I’m certainly willing to keep playing and I will do everything I can to keep the green goo from spilling all over the place.

3 comments:

Wendi said...

Steph, will you please run for President? I will vote for you!

Dan Jones said...

I love that game so much. I remember playing it when I was about 12, on Windows 3.1 Those were good times, that's for sure.

Lizzy said...

Halle-freakin-lujah!

All I want is a job where I don't spend my day counting down the minutes until quitting time... (or until my lunch dates with Stephanie) Is that too much to ask?!

Also, I see your clever blog has made you a new friend... who uses the term "moreover"... Interesting.