Monday, April 21, 2008

Breakfast Smeakfast

As a general rule I don’t eat breakfast. It’s not that I don’t enjoy breakfast foods I just don’t enjoy the practice.

Now, before you waste your time trying to point out the various flaws in my thought process let me just say I’ve heard it all before. I’ve heard countless individuals (both smart and not so much) talk of breakfast as the "King of Meals" – it’s the most important meal of the day, the one meal you should never skip. Breakfast brings your body to life; kick starts your day…blah blah blah. I’ve also read and listened to plenty diet professionals reiterating the counter-intuitive strategy that eating a nice hearty breakfast everyday will actually help you lose weight – yeah right Kellogg’s. I’ve reviewed countless studies on the matter and I do not doubt any of their claims just the application to me, as in, it doesn’t. I must confess to finding a certain level of legitimacy in the concept of breakfast as a whole. I don’t think it’s a bad thing and I’ll be sure to feed my kids breakfast every day, however, I choose not to partake in the morning ritual and my reasons are four-fold:

First: my body, like my mind, refuses to function properly before 10 am and if you make me eat breakfast chance is I will throw up on you.
Second: I never have time for a decent breakfast; I’m lucky to make it to work on time. Now, if I had a personal chef, things might be different.
Third: anytime I do manage to grab breakfast, within the hour I’ll be hungrier than ever and forced to eat again before lunch. What a waste. Sidebar: here is my beef with those crazy dieter’s theories. Tell me, how can I really lose weight if breakfast makes me so hungry I end up eating twice what I would have for the day?
Forth: I don’t like to do things that “may” be good for me just because random people say so…on principle.

There, I’ve said it – cleared my conscience. I just don’t do breakfast. Now go on, defend the ritual if you must.

2 comments:

Abinadi said...

First, you refuse to function properly before 10am. Need I remind you of the verse from the Doctrine and Covenants (88:124) which says "cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated." If you refuse to function, that is your choice. But clearly, the Lord would have you "invigorated" in the morning.

Second, you have plenty of time. You have all the time you need. Saying that you don't is merely a specious excuse.

Third, if you get hungry again, you are obviously not eating enough to begin with. Ergo, eat a bigger breakfast. The beauty of the meal is that you work off any caloric intake (no matter how healthy/unhealthy) during the day. Fact.

Fourth, you don't like to do things that "may" be good for you because "random" [sic] people say so? Really? Your random people include experts in the field. The link you provided the Harvard Medical School. This is not just John Doe off the street.

You have no leg to stand on. Go eat your breakfast.

Lizzy said...

Some people are just not morning people. Fact.

We all have different talents. Some can jump out of bed wide awake at the first sound of the alarm, others not so much. These individuals may have all the leisurely time in the world to gorge themselves in fancy breakfasts... But me? I'm really good at going through the drive-thru at McDonald's as I'm running 30 minutes late to work. (I'm also really good at being late to work.) Then, after my late breakfast I am also really good and downing some Texas cheese fries at an early lunch at Chili's with my BFF. Sometimes more than once a week even.