Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Exercise

I did not vote for a President yesterday. I did not care for any of the candidates and this whole campaign season has really been a huge disappointment. I voted yesterday because I can. I voted because years ago a group of inspired, wise, strong individuals fought for the right to be heard, to choose, to vote. I voted yesterday because just shy a century ago a few brave women stood up in a society telling them no and paved the way for me to have the right today to be heard, to choose, to vote.


My heart ached yesterday when I heard the indifference of some of my friends and colleagues. “Who cares, my vote doesn’t count anyway,” “I don’t like any of the candidates so it’s just not worth voting.” What a sad state our nation is in when today we are unable to appreciate the simple privilege of heading to a local polling station and casting a vote when there were so many willing to die for it. I refuse to take this for granted no matter how poor the ballot may look when I get to it. I refuse to silence myself by apathy. I will not pretend to think my individual vote will flip any election but it does not really matter because it is my vote and that is the most important vote to me.


Yesterday I voted simply to exercise a privilege given to me long ago by others who would not be silenced. I voted for them and I voted for me. I voted because I am woman and I voted because I am an American.

2 comments:

Wendi said...

Hooray for you Steph! Everyone and everything I voted for failed, but heck, I tried! Voting is empowering. Even though my vote didn't make a difference in the overall outcome of the elections, I feel empowered by casting my vote. And I feel more justified in my complaints, if I participated in the process. ;)

Gavin said...

There is nothing wrong with not voting. People who don't vote are just saying "I really haven't taken the time to learn about this, so I will trust the people who have." As an informed citizen you might feel it is your responsibility to vote. But "Joe-the-plumber" who decided to watch reruns of My name is Earl instead of watching the debates and hasn't read a newspaper since failing current events in 5th grade shouldn't be pushed to the polls so he can mark a random name that sounds cool.