Thursday, November 13, 2008

Little Purple Things

I finally caved last week and purchased a new iPod nano… a purple one. It is a very good purple and it suits me well. I can honestly tell you I purchased this iPod for two reasons: it’s small and it’s an amazing shade of purple. When I saw the ad release for the new generation iPods I was filled with glee – you put anything in the right size and color and I’ll buy it, so good job Apple. After my joyful purchase, a friend of mine generously loaded my new baby with some sweet jams and I drove home in high spirits singing and dancing with my new pretty purple pal entertaining both myself and fellow roadies.


It has been just over a week and I have proudly displayed it to everyone I know as if they have never seen one. That little electronic gem has brought me so many warm fuzzies. I feel slightly bad for my old fatty iPod because he just was never that pretty, but he has a new owner so I am sure he is just fine. BUT, the point is, the current joy. I am truly amazed at how happy I have been to get in my car after work and sit in traffic so I can play with my new friend -I actually look forward to it. Although this strikes me as somewhat strange I think the real reason is rather quit simple. It is the simplicity of it.


Recently I’ve been stressing in my life over huge things. I am starting to feel a tad older and daily more aware of things I thought I’d be doing by this point in my life and am not. Unfortunately, long ago, I approached these goals from the wrong angle, placing unnecessary time frames and silly expectations, so instead of standing as pieces of hope and excitement they have continually brought discouragement. Maybe I’m naive, but I guess I thought goals should be motivating and rarely discouraging, so…ooops.


While I know there is a place for long term goals and a genuine focus on the bigger picture I have spent far too much time recently overlooking the small things in life that bring happiness every single day. Thank you my pretty, purple iPod for reminding me of the little things that make life worthwhile on a very, very small and simple scale.

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

i covet your beautiful purple ipod. i heart the shake-n-shuffle feature like no other.