Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Raccoon?!

This morning as I entered my office I was greeted by a hallway full of my coworkers. They were all starring at me. One of them finally said:

“You can’t go back there.”
Ok.
“There is a raccoon on the loose back there!!”
What?
“Yeah, a raccoon fell through the ceiling and is now running up and down the halls!”
Seriously? That is awesome.

The office was to be evacuated immediately. We must maintain a safe distance while we wait for the superb UT animal control force to hunt down the raccoon on the run. I was a lucky one, freed from both the confines of desk work and a terrifying hostage situation. The entire back half of my office mates were not as lucky. They found themselves trapped by the menacing mammal scurrying along the cubical walls and were directed to barricade themselves in the back room with cabinets and boxes...hm.

So, I took this short raccoon enforced break to catch up on some light reading: Harry Potter: The Prisoner of Azkaban – I know, people say I’m a little behind. Approximately 25 min later, a young lad – no more than 16 – comes strutting down the hallway, free of eye contact, with a large animal carrier, gloves and two large nets in hand. He was here to save us all and he means business. I was informed later that he is one of only three people on campus certified for this type of rescue mission – outstanding. Six minutes and 58 seconds later, out came our hero accompanied by a uniformed officer holding the now occupied metal carrier. Their chests stood proud as they walked down the hall of honor and grand applause. The raccoon has been captured. Well done, men.

So there it is, just another day at the office here at UT. And if you think this is entertaining, get ready, because bat season is just around the corner...

3 comments:

teuscher travels said...

haha, that is hilarious!! You have the best stories, and here I was just coming to comment on your previous post! I am soooo impressed you are doing sugar free June! And thanks for the shout out:) I have to agree that Jared is darling (I dont know how to make that sound not creepy...), I have always said it was a good thing I came first otherwise I would have felt bad not being able to live up to him...he was always the nicer/cooler/funnier one! I do hate sugar free and hope your months passes quickly!! You are totally punching 2009 in the face!!!

Nicci said...

ha ha - sweet

Jeannie said...

I mistakenly took a drink right as I was reading this and then promptly spit it out laughing as soon as I started reading.. thanks a lot. :)
~Jeannie