Saturday, March 8, 2008

Turkey Sandwich

So yeah, I’m a turkey sandwich kinda girl. Aside from the ridiculously frequent chocolate indulgences, the TS is my comfort food. Yeah, I know it’s a little weird but I’m ok with it. This is how I see it: a turkey sandwich is always safe. I can go into any restaurant, anywhere, anytime and there’s always a turkey sandwich. Well, except for the Mexican places in which case I order the chicken enchiladas which if you think about it is really just the Mexican version of the turkey sandwich.

Recently, I went out with some girlfriends to a nice Italian place. They ordered this crazy appetizer assortment of weird cheeses and meats and then expected me to eat it. I said listen, my taste buds are super shy and sometimes they get really miffed tying crazy stuff. My palette then became the topic of conversation as they forced me to consume the plate of unknown - and yeah it was all pretty good. The consensus was because I never try anything spicier than mild canned salsa or deli turkey my taste buds are like tender little babies and as such quickly suffer from sensory overload. Give em too much and they don't know what's going on. But basically, they agreed, I've done it to myself.

I’ve been thinking about my taste buds a lot and wondering if my safe turkey habits pop up anywhere else in my life. I think I’ve found a few. For the most part I think it's ok to play it safe. It's nice to know what you're gonna get but at the same time I don't know what other amazing things I'm missing out on. So here it goes, I think I'm gonna try to step out of the safe zone and maybe add a little ham...oh or roast beef!

No comments: