Thursday, March 27, 2008

Procrastinating Princess

This week my professor cancelled my evening class and called it a “work day”. There is no doubt in my mind this was a generous offering intended to give those of use who are diligent enough to start the dreaded semester project a good chunk of time to draft up a big fat ‘A’. In my case, however, instead of hearing “work day” I hear “play day!” Without question I should certainly be spending the day doing exactly what I’m sure at least one of my classmates is doing but I won’t.

With this acknowledgement I suddenly realize how poorly I manage my time on a regular basis. One would think someone so intelligent and organized, like myself, would surely be smart enough to make sufficient time to get things done…and done well. But no. In an ever failing attempt to rationalize my actions I must simply admit one thing – I’m a procrastinator…but at least I’m darn good at it. After all, it’s truly a rare occasion in which I arrive early or even on time to any event and I don’t remember a single time in my entire academic career I finished an assignment before it was deadline due. I’m right there, 11:59 pm hitting the SUBMIT button. I am in fact a Pretty Pretty Procrastinating Princess.

Being a PPPP, I’ve learned to work exceptionally fast under pressure and I always, typically with the help of some miracle, manage to crank out work sufficient for my needs. No doubt, there is some skill involved, but it has recently come to my attention, somewhat harshly, that perhaps this technique is getting a little tired and by tired I mean me actually being tired…all the time. As it goes, I figure I must somehow become a Punctual Princess but, being that I’ve so long been the wicked stepsister to this seemingly perfect character, I have no clue how to go about it. I would imagine her actions would be basically opposite of mine so that’s a start. BUT what if Punctual Princess me ends up being worse? What if in fact it’s the procrastinating itself that brings about the best fruits of my labor? This would be tragic. I guess there is only one way to know for sure - a scientific experiment and on that note I shall put the shoulder to the wheel and start on the research paper that is due tomorrow.

1 comment:

Abinadi said...

Hm.

You know, I too am notorious for showing up late. I wonder why that is, for surely it is not intentional.